Eco Friendly Menstrual Cup
A menstrual cup is a type of reusable feminine hygiene product. A menstrual cup is a small, flexible bell-shaped cup made of rubber, plastic or silicone and are usually reusable that a person can insert into their vagina to catch and collect menstrual blood during a period. We can simply empty the cup, wash it with soap and warm water and insert it again into the vagina.
Menstrual cup is the most cost-effective menstrual product till now. This cup is made from 100% Medical Grade Silicone. During their lives, menstruating women use nearly 12000 sanitary pads or tampons. In the landfills, these take hundreds of years to decompose. Menstrual cups are sustainable, safe, healthy and convenient option to sanitary pads or tampons. They are leak-proof, need to change after every 12 hours and are free of chemicals, perfumes and toxins. A menstrual cup can last for up to ten years if properly maintained.
Every year India produces 9000 tons of sanitary pads waste, which is about 90% as heavy as the Eiffel Tower. Sanitary waste is a problem because of the “ingredients” in disposable pads. Conventional pads are 90% plastic, even the “fabric” upper layer is plastic woven sheet.
In a lifetime, a single person who menstruates will use the menstrual pads somewhere between 5,000 to 15,000 sanitary pads and tampons and is expected to throw away roughly 200 kgs of period product packaging. Sanitary pads, tampons and panty liners, their packaging and wrapping generate more than 2, 00,000 tons of waste annually. Plastic and non-compostable materials in period products can take 500 to 800 years to decompose.
Source: PeeSafe India
There are many advantages to using a menstrual cups including:
- Comfort: Many people says that a menstrual cups is more comfortable than menstrual pads or tampons.
- Fewer cramps: There are some real reports of people having fewer or less painful menstrual cramps while using a menstrual cup.
- Less mess: When inserted the menstrual cup properly into the vagina, the menstrual cup should not leak or lapse and a person can wear this cup while working out, swimming, jogging or showering. Some brands report that their menstrual cups are safe and comfortable to wear during sex.
- Reduced environment impact and earth safe: Sanitary pads and tampons are usually single use or need to throw away after every use of period cycle and come with lots of packaging but menstrual pads are designed for years of use.
- Economical: Menstrual cups are budget friendly. Even though one menstrual cup may cost you more than tampons or sanitary pads, you pay a one-time price for it. On the other hand, other feminine hygiene products like as menstrual pads or tampons having to be purchased continually, adding to the total cost.
Do check out Menstrual cup by Saathi Pads available with us.
Menstrual cups comes in various size as large, medium and small, which can be used as per different body sizes of each individual women.
Source: Sirona Reusable Menstrual Cup